Saturday, May 30, 2009

quicko: the ashes

Now this is sports, and sports is really not my realm. Ahem. I regret to say I haven't got a clue what season this is even appropriate to be mentioned in (Australians, catch your cue here ...), but I know it is important, and would feel myself to be a negligent blogger should I leave it out. From the bits and pieces I've been told in grave detail any number of times, but have hitherto been completely unable to retain my brain I shall try to reconstruct a semblance of truth regarding the Ashes. See, I capitalized them. (Capitalization is my realm.) Basically, it's an award in sports that the Australians generally always win (or think they do?). Occasionally England (ewww, nasty England!) wins (or think they do?) and it's a very big, prestigious something. The end.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep. Here I come to save the day. Again.

Cricket is a sport that the English invented and then spread throughout the Commonwealth. Most countries colonised by the British play it, with the notable exception of America, who presumably threw the rulebook overboard, along with a large quantity of perfectly usable tea. It bears absolutely no resemblance to baseball.

In an embarrassing turn of events for the Motherland, almost every country that plays cricket now plays it better than England does. England first realised that something was going horribly wrong when she was beaten at her own game (literally) in 1882 by a touring team from Australia.

A mock obituary was placed in a London newspaper, alerting the public that English cricket had died and that the body had been cremated, with the ashes to be taken to Australia. Australia and England have played test cricket for “The Ashes” ever since.

It’s England’s turn to host the tournament this English summer, which is coming up. It will be a fun contest, since the last time the Ashes were played in England, England managed to win for the first time in 16 years, but the most recent Ashes were played in Australia, which Australia won with the embarrassing score of 5-0. So both teams will be out for revenge.

Who will win? Only time will tell. But the correct answer is Australia.

KIM said...

Consider yourself duly thanked ... I was hoping you'd post this!! (I promise I was listening when you told me the first time, it's just that, well, I think it went in one ear as they say ... I did make a note to refer back to you as Non-Resident Expert, though!)