Sunday, November 23, 2008

quicko: laundry

I have never claimed to like laundry, but I particularly do not like it here.

I know it's utterly undomestic of me, but I am not a clothes-line-loving sort of girl. Some girls are. It runs in my family, actually. My mom and grandma and aunts all like them. Mom wouldn't let us buy a house in a neighborhood because codes and regulations would have prevented us from having one (not that she usually uses ours much), and I've never heard a woman so enamored with freshly air-dryed sheets as my aunt who-is-too-wary-of-the-internet-for-me-to-mention-her-name.

But back to the problem at hand. I hate doing laundry. And here not only do I have to do it, I also have to put it up on the line, where any number of frustrations can arise. The clothes can fall on the ground and get dirty. The neighbors can take in my favorite beach towel thinking it's theirs. I can leave the clothes pins in the wrong place, thinking I'm being helpful, but actually creating more trouble. The sky can start raining.

And that doesn't even take into account the time it takes to put all the clothes up on it.

I think the time's my biggest gripe. It's so ridiculously time consuming to pin my black sweater up, pin my teal shirt up, pick up the black sweater that's fallen and repin it, get more pins, pin up three green shirts, repin the sweater, pin up six pink shirts, find three big pins for the blasted sweater, pin up the blue skirt, get more pins, get a new stash from the washing machine, pin up three black tops, avoid stepping on the dead mouse, catch the sweater, get more pins, pin up two black skirts, pin up the pink pants, retrieve the sweater from the ground and carry it upstairs in desperation. I have such better things to be doing with my time. Like writing about how time consuming laundry is, for starters.

No comments: