Saturday, November 15, 2008

quicko: christmas is coming

This week I heard my first Christmas carol in Australia. (Noel. In Starbucks.)

I know it's happening everywhere, but it's just so strange to find fake Christmas trees in open-air areas that are hot. One of my co-workers recently suggested children's picture Christmas books as unique gifts -- they feature kangaroos and koalas, as well as Santas in shorts.

And Christmas parties -- you wear summer dresses! (Yes, I realize the more observant among you, such as my mother, will point out that snow has never stopped me wearing summer dresses in the past.) At least here I can legitimately get away with them.

It's funny, though, the lack of snow doesn't stop people doing all the Christmasy things like caroling and cards and gingerbread houses (I had to ask someone if they did gingerbread houses at Christmas or in the "winter" ... they do them at Christmas). I guess it's a bit like in Dr. Suess -- Christmas without snow is still Christmas after all!

(But thank goodness I'll be home in the snow.)

No comments: