Tuesday, February 28, 2012

quicko: of cars and such

I think Australians are slower drivers than Americans -- not out of some innate preference (quite the contrary), but more because they're just so ridiculously heavily patrolled by speed cameras.  There's just not so much you can do about speed cameras.

With Americans, it's a gamble.  Sure, the cops can catch you and that's no fun, but what is fun is driving fast and hoping that they don't.  Thus, as a rule of thumb, the general public drives about 5 over and feels perfectly fine about it.  If a cop pulls you over doing 6 over you'd be pretty shocked.  20, sure, 6, no way.

I've heard the idea circulated among American cops is "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine," so I have no qualms doing 9 ... ish ... over.  Which means occasionally you hit 15 over, but you feel really guilty if it's 20.

Australians, on the other hand, adhere to the 5 over rule in New South Wales, but it apparently varies state by state.  Beneath that.

Evidently in Canberra the going rate is 10 ... under.

And, in case you haven't noted this yet, Americans are driving in mph, while Australians are in kph -- which means that me going 10 over in America is actually a decent bit more than 10 over in Australia.  Such a rebel, aren't I?

Anyway, I was duly proud of myself tonight when we were driving along and the car ahead of us started to lollygag.

"What the heck is he doing?" asked my friend.

"He doesn't know where he's going, he's from Victoria," I answered immediately, noting the license plate.

With that I was deemed truly Australia.  Seems you've arrived when you work out the stereotypes and apply them correctly.

Which brings me (segue!?  It totally works if you think like me ...) to our future trivia team names -- vote for your favorite, and goodnight.

1.  Tasmanian Pirates Do It Better
2.  Tasmania:  Separated by Water, Joined by "Friendship"
3.  Tasmania:  Blood IS Thicker Than Water
4.  Tasmania:  Say Cheese!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Pennsylvania has always stuck to the 5 and under rule; we have relatives who can attest to the hefty fines that 6 mph over the speed limit bring. Also, there are more cameras at intersections now, although I suppose they are more for catching people who don't do intersections correctly. However, with the gas prices climbing again, you may be surprised to find that speeding is increasingly more expensive than it was, say, back in the early 2000's. And, your mother still does not want to ride with you if you go that fast!