Sunday, June 30, 2013

quicko: creamed corn

I found this really strange, but evidently it's very typical in Australia:  Chinese places serve creamed corn and chicken soup.  Isn't that bizarre?  First off, that's what my grandmothers (neither of whom were remotely Chinese) would have served me ... and secondly, every Chinese soup I've ever had before is completely different -- like a hot and spicy broth with goodness knows what in it.  But the Australians all say it's the most normal thing in the world here.  Have I gotten Chinese food wrong my whole life?!

1 comment:

Laetitia :-) said...

Maybe the Chinese who migrated to the USA were from a different part of China than those who tended to come to Australia. A bit like the British who went to the USA early on tended to be from the SW of England whereas those who were transported to Australia were largely from London (particularly the cockney areas).