Friday, August 5, 2011

quicko: weights and measures


I know I don't cook much, but it did surprise me that it took well over 3 1/2 years for me to learn that (some) Australians actually use scales to measure their ingredients.  I was absolutely floored.  My friend asked me to measure out a few ingredients for a dessert and I hastily peered around for some measuring cups.  Finding none, it dawned on me that I was intended to use the scale.  (Obviously all the measurements are in grams -- although I hasten to add that my flatmate most definitely has measuring cups that are actually fractions of cups.)  And so, for the first time in my life, I helped to bake using a scale.  Isn't that quaint?

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

We have a less sturdy version of kitchen scales like that (as opposed to snazzy new digital scales). Sometimes there are odd recipes that use both weights and 'cups' and 'spoons'. Sometimes I wonder if I ever cooked those things before we acquired the scales.

Laetitia :-) said...

Oh, and the kitchen scales come in handy for measuring the weight of a parcel / heavy letter to see if it will fit in the letter category versus the parcel category, or even for working out if the postage will require 2 stamps or 3 (large letter, weight).