Sunday, May 29, 2011

review: my place

I didn't expect to like My Place.

I got it for my birthday and didn't like the cover.  If you'd told me it was non-fiction, I probably still wouldn't have got to it yet.

But I read it.  And, what's more, within the first chapter I was actually into the book.

I'm not sure what I expected -- boredom, presumably -- but I didn't get it.  It's a book I think you could accurately term "beautiful," which also generally sends me scurrying the opposite direction, but was really well written, and enjoyable to read.

I think it's possible I wouldn't have liked it in high school (I think it's one of those books that gets put on recommended reading lists for Australian high schoolers, along the lines of a To Kill a Mockingbird), but, gosh, I'm really actually nearly a decade removed from high school now.  I was going to say perhaps my tastes are maturing, but I read Pilgrim's Progress as a fifth-grader, so I'm not sure they had too terribly far to go.  Not that I got much out of it, but I also despise re-reading, so whatever I did manage to glean is probably all I'm going to get.

But My Place is a beautiful book.  It is the first person narration of Sally, a little Australian girl of, to her, unknown origins.  It is her quest to discover her roots, which sounds terribly pretentious, but is actually extremely down-to-earth.

There's a blurb on the back of the book from Alice Walker of The Color Purple fame, and there are definite similarities between the plight of African Americans and the struggle Sally's family had.  It's a monumental journey, but not in a tiresome sense.  It's very real, very grounded and very much worth reading.

I think the thing that worried me was that there wouldn't be any plot, any momentum or any forward pull -- any of the "but-what's-going-to-happen-next?!" variety of anticipation.  I, however, found myself finishing the last hundred pages or so in one fell swoop, wanting desperately to know the mysteries Sally herself was so desperately seeking.

I can't tell, though.  Now it's your turn.

3 comments:

Crazyjedidiah said...

I really didn't like that book, probably because I had to study it for my hsc. However I loved to kill a mockingbird which I studied in year 10.
I know some people who ran the youth group where Paul morgan (Sally's now ex-husband)was and apparently she got him involved in all sorts of wierd things or something. I also believe she is no longer a Christian and has turned to indigenous spirituality.

Laetitia :-) said...

To Kill a Mockingbird was one of the books we had to read in school and is still available as a 'current school resource' for teachers to use.

I did My Place at uni. Considering it came out when I was in Year 9, it's probably fairly understandable that it hadn't made it into the school list when I was in the appropriate year level at school. :-)

Mom said...

West Chester OH library does not have it.