Wednesday, January 5, 2011

quicko: she'll be right

One of the most common Australian throwaway lines of comfort, and the biggest baldfaced lie masquerading as gospel truth since sticks and stones.

The gist of it is, "don't worry, everything will turn out okay"; however, it's almost inevitably said when everything is poised to go patently Not Alright.  It's meant to bring comfort, but oddly enough rarely delivers.

As in:

"My gosh, I've just lost my life savings in the GFC and I don't know how I'll ever be able to retire."

"No worries, mate, she'll be right."

Or in:

"My wife's left me and taken the kids and the dog!"

"Hang in there, she'll be right."

Or perhaps:

"Come quick, my house is on fire!"

"Take it easy, mate, she'll be right."

In fact, the only time it appears not to work is when beer is involved.  Take for example:

"Who drank the last beer?!"

"She'll ... she'll ... I'll be right back with more!"


I cannot though for the life of me get a proper grasp of the grammar involved.  Why it is "she" instead of "it" I can overlook, but why it's "right" instead of "alright" gets me every time.  How can you honestly expect things to turn out for the best when you can't even produce a coherent sentence?

No comments: