Saturday, January 8, 2011

quicko: in the middle

I don't know how relevant this is to American-Australian cultural differences, but I think I can stretch it.  Hang with me.

It just seems that there's lots of words to describe that span of time in the middle of a bigger something, but that that word changes based on what the bigger something is.  For example, at the theatre in America it's "intermission," whereas at the theatre in England (and Australia?) it's an "interval."  It's a "half-time show" at an American football game, but who knows if they even have the same sorts of things at, say, rugby matches.

The reason I got thinking about all this is because we have one in our church service and I couldn't figure out what to call it.  "Intermission" sounds a bit ... theatrical, and "half-time show" really isn't exactly accurate.  I think officially it's an "extended meet and greet," but that's a bit of a mouthful.  Possibly a "coffee break" could do.  So trite, I know.

No comments: