Sunday, January 2, 2011

quicko: baby names 2010

Australia's top baby names of 2010, according to some random website, along with my comments as I just feel they can't be helped:


20 most popular girls' names

  1. Lily (Harry Potter's mother, obviously, but otherwise quite possibly the best on the list ... which isn't saying much.  I could see it as a friendly middle name.)
  2. Ruby (for a baby?!)
  3. Charlotte (as in the spider?!)
  4. Chloe (still makes me think of Uncle Tom's Cabin)
  5. Sophie (was that the girl in The BFG?  I think it's been overdone, literarily speaking.)
  6. Olivia (the mouse in the children's book.  I'm afraid I read too much.)
  7. Isabella (for a baby?!)
  8. Mia (Mamma?)
  9. Emily (boring!  sorry to all my friends named Emily ... it's just that it's hardly unique.  Also L.M. Montgomery's other series ...)
  10. Ava (can the baby fly?)
  11. Amelia (again, can the baby fly?)
  12. Zoe (perfect for a comic strip kid ...)
  13. Ella (is her first name Cinder?)
  14. Sienna (okay, I kind of like this one ... I was going to say mountain range, but that'd be Sierra ... which I still kind of like ...)
  15. Isabelle (for a baby?!)
  16. Madison (feeling just a wee bit too patriotic in the American sense methinks ...)
  17. Emma (for a baby?!)
  18. Matilda (for a baby?!?!?  I like Roald Dahl as much as the next guy, but I still wouldn't name my twins the Twits)
  19. Hannah (just too nice and a little too biblical)
  20. Georgia (the state?  the country?  or somebody's old aunt?)

20 most popular boys' names

  1. Jack (aside from having to content with every English nursery rhyme not featuring Peter, it's not too bad)
  2. Cooper (a name that definitely belongs to a golden retriever)
  3. Oliver (hideous, no offense to those out there; I don't like olives at the best of times and Oliver is exceptionally wimpy unless he happens to be a singing orphan)
  4. Noah (waaaay too biblical)
  5. Thomas (well, if you must, but at least let us call him Tom)
  6. Lucas (wimpy)
  7. Lachlan (still very new to me and I can't quite tell what I think of it)
  8. William (if we can call him Will, okay)
  9. Jackson (is he one of five?)
  10. Charlie (does he have a chocolate factory?)
  11. Ethan (yay!  the winner!  and the cutest baby of the year, if not the quietest ...)
  12. Liam (is that English??  sounds wimpy ...)
  13. Riley (does he come with a gun?!)
  14. Joshua (a bit overdone, but what boy name isn't?  like it.)
  15. Aiden (again, is it English?  sounds wimpy ...)
  16. Max (hmmm.  does he drink coffee?  play with wild things?  kill wives named Rebecca?)
  17. James (can't go too wrong I guess)
  18. Samuel (see notes at James)
  19. Jacob (nice.  Jacob I can handle.)
  20. Ryan (another keeper.)

Well, gosh, now that I've offended half the population I think my work here is done.  Till next time!

2 comments:

redhedqd said...

In response to your rhetorical question as to if these names are intended for a baby. Yes, people are usually given their names when they are babies. I enjoyed your commentary on these names. Something that irks me are that the names Jacob and Isabel (and derivatives like "Bella") all became wildly popular because of that darn overblown Twilight series. Why are people choosing to name their children after bloodsuckers and werewolves?

Mom said...

I was pleasantly surprised to note that we are beginning to think a bit more similarly in the name department now.