Thursday, May 27, 2010

quicko: was sat

This is an interesting grammatical construction Australians (and Brits) tend to use -- a passive voice when there's really no need for one. The sentence goes, "So, I was in the theatre and I was sat in front of this really obnoxious woman who kept dropping crumbs in my hair." See it? Was sat. No one sat you down, did they? Why passive? The only thing I can figure is that possibly in assigned seating contexts (the theatre, some movie theatres, airplanes, etc.) you might not have had a choice -- however, the grammar is still used when there is a choice, such as on buses. There are other similar such uses of passive, but it's a bit late and the top of my head isn't functioning particularly willingly. So we'll leave it at that for now: I was sat at my computer and couldn't come up with any more examples. The end.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Gosh! That is just so strange!!! It sounds so wrong to me!!! No offense to the poeple who utter it!