Tuesday, August 4, 2009

quicko: people with disabilities

It's probably just that I bump into a lot more people with disabilities at home since I have a brother in practically every Special Olympic sport except swimming (clinging to the wall, nearest body, etc. doesn't go over particulaly well, even in Special Olympic circles), but I've hardly encountered any people with physical or intellectual disabilities in Australia. I'm sure there must be a community thereof, but my encounters thus far have been quite limited.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That´s an interesting observation. I had noticed the reverse to be true of Madrid; there seem to be a disproportionate number of people getting around with some form of disability, especially blindness. I had chalked it up to the infamous Spanish road toll, which is reputedly horrendous, but maybe it´s just that I´m not used to seeing so much disability in Australia. Hmm, hmm, makes you hum, doesn´t it?