Sunday, April 12, 2009

quicko: sorry, charlie, but get out of town

It was only after I taught my students the expression that I realized Australians don't say "get out of town." To be more precise, it was in the middle of the lesson that it occurred to me I hadn't heard anyone here say it and suddenly felt a great deal of pity for my poor elementary students who'd be all eagerly using their new idiom only to receive hostile blank stares. Poor dears. The hazards of having an American English teacher.

It was after that that my co-worker pointed out they don't say "sorry, Charlie," either, owing to the expression originally having been an American tuna commercial. The things you learn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kimmy, hate to break it to you, but nobody really uses "get out of town" in the US these days either.

Susan