Monday, March 9, 2009

quicko: measure for measure

The other day a friend and I went to see Shakespeare's Measure for Measure. It was another of the Shakespeare by the Sea productions in Balmoral, which is a breathtakingly beautiful setting. It was a decent production of a rarely produced play I'd never seen on stage before, so I was really glad I went. I can't quite gather enough thoughts to write a full-length review of it (in many ways, it was just too blase), but I'll hit on a few thoughts while I've still got them.

First, it was so nice to finally be at one of these productions where I could actually hear! The wind wasn't bad at all, so it was just the regular ocean sounds that the actors had to project over. That they were generally able to do.

Second, the script itself is so ... intriguing. I mean, it's not often you have to choose whether or not to sleep with a tyrannical dictator in order to save your brother's life. Occasional, of course, but not quite weekly.

Third, everything else (i.e., costumes, set (or lack thereof), props (or lackthereof), lighting, stage managing, directing, acting, audience reactions, etc.) was blah. Nothing bad, nothing outstanding, nothing interesting. It all went off without a hitch, but there weren't so many possible snags from what I could tell. I was glad I went, glad I could understand the text so well having only read it once, moderately interested in the script -- and that was that.

A nice evening, tra la.

No comments: