Sunday, March 8, 2009

quicko: driving


Okay, I know this isn't exactly a cultural observation and I have already touched on the topic, but I got to drive on the left for the first time today and I think it's worth posting about. So there!

It was all terribly exciting, despite starting off on a one-way street. The cars were parked on the other side, you see. But then I got to turn! A left turn! Where left turns are right turns! And I drove! And I didn't crash! And it was so, very exciting!

And then we hit a right turn! I had a special green arrow, so it wasn't quite as life-threatening as it could have been, but I felt the adrenaline just the same. It is a very exhilarting experience to drive on the left. I really don't know how the Australians contain themselves usually.

And I wasn't just driving on long stretches of highway, oh no! I was driving in Neutral Bay and Kirribilli, which are Suburbs of Many Cars. I drove over the far left edge a wee bit once or twice, but I did (someone should give me a weekly Oscar for this ...) parallel park! On the left! If that isn't the height of excitement, I don't know what is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whose car was so lucky as to host your adventure? whose person was so adventuresome as to allow it? does your American driver's license meet all the requirements legally for driving in another country?
you know me, just being myself and thinking of these things.

Miguel said...

Terribly exciting?? What about the co-pilot? I was terrified! I am happy you don’t mention my sudden involuntary pauses when repeating “right, right!” or “ttto close ttto close!!” Well, as only witness in the adventure have to say you did pretty well specially parking “without” reverse assistant! You dont mention anything about the rain and that you hit the left back tyre only once!