Friday, January 2, 2009

quicko: wombat divine

I have a new favorite Mem Fox book. I am, of course, still much taken with Possum Magic, but with books, unlike boys, it is acceptable to be much taken with more than one simultaneously.

The new book is Wombat Divine, and it really is. Of course, I do have a special affinity for wombats, having once been one, but that's another story entirely. This one is about Wombat.

Wombat is one of the most lovable fictional characters I've come across. It's not just because he (I think it's a he?) is soft and furry, but because he's so excited to be part of the Christmas play. Oh, okay, I think you have to read the book to really get it.

When you do, be sure (how could you not?) to pay attention to the illustrations. They're full of little surprises, not to mention a vast array of Australian animals. My favorite page happens to be the one with the two koalas attempting to make Mary's donkey.

Oh, and don't worry. It has a happy ending!

No comments: