Sunday, January 11, 2009

quicko: easy access

A couple weeks ago I was at a meeting at church to help plan activities for the kick-off (they call it a "launch") of a week celebrating Kirribilli's 125th anniversary later this year. We were tossing around all sorts of fun ideas (fireworks! scavenger hunts! 1800s costumes! block parties! sidewalk chalk!) when someone got around to the serious idea of inviting dignitaries, which was all very well as long as they didn't mind the fireworks. They started tossing around a few names which, as expected, I'd never heard of. But then they came up with one I did know: Kevin Rudd, the Australian Prime Minister. Of course, I thought it was a lovely idea to invite Mr. Rudd, but the thing that amazed me was that they actually thought he might come. Of course they know their PM better than I do, and it really does seem feasible he could pop by if he's in town (since, after all, his Sydney home is in Kirribilli). I just could never quite picture any organization of a similar size asking the American President to make an appearance for a 125th celebration and having him actually come.


It was then they brought up the Queen of England, but I do believe even the Aussie optimists faltered a bit there. Just a bit, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well... CBTB, or rather, St. John's Anglican is HRH's offical church when she's in Sydney. I don't know when the last time that happened was. It might be worth dropping her an invite.

Can you imagine that? I reckon Paul Dale's head would explode with excitement.

As for Kevin, I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up, as long as he's not busy overseas. Which he always is.

davidcoad said...

Actually, Kev did stick his head in at church one week not long before he became Prime Minister. He asked Paul (Minister) if there was communion (Lord's Supper) this week and when he found out there wasn't he moved on.