Thursday, March 29, 2012

quicko: john williamson


Last Friday I went to a taping of the Australian radio comedy show Thank God It's Friday (not to be confused with the Australian television comedy show Thank God You're Here).  It was (shockingly) quite funny, and also featured the music of Australian songwriter John Williamson.

I'm not entirely sure how big a name he is, but I figure you can judge that he fell somewhere between the categories of everyone knowing the words to his song (they did, something about a big red, but not the chewing gum) and me actually having to pay to see him (I didn't).  So reasonably but not atrociously famous, which is pretty much how Australians like it.  If that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He's a really nationalistic folk/country singer. My mum loves his music, so I grew up on it. He was really big in the late eighties/early nineties. Not so much now.

His most famous song is "True Blue," not Big Red ;)