Thursday, February 16, 2012

quicko: tunnel hearing

You've heard of tunnel vision, but tunnel hearing?  Presumably this has been going on the whole time I've been in Australia, but I just discovered tonight that when you go through the tunnel under the Sydney harbour, it automatically changes your radio station to give you important driving updates.  I heard it saying something and turned to my friend going, "gee, that was kind of creepy -- it was almost like your radio knew just where you were driving," with flashbacks from The Truman Show playing in my mind.

"Oh, but it did," she said, which didn't exactly comfort me.

"Uh, what?" I said.

From there she went on to explain that the tunnel automatically supersedes all radio stations to tell you, say, in our case, "There is a vehicle stopped in the left lane."

"But what if you're not listening to the radio?" you might ask.  "What if you're listening to a CD?  Or not listening to music at all?"

I had the exact same question.

"See those red lights that say 'turn on radio'?" she asked.

Ah.  Yes.  Apparently they did think of everything.

Except finding a way of getting that vehicle out of the left lane.

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

You mean, the USA doesn't have this? Or has it been so long since you've driven through a USA tunnel that the technology could have been installed during your absence?

Mom said...

That's really a clever concept, since radio waves cannot reach into tunnels anyway usually. At least they can't in the long mountain tunnels in America.