Tuesday, February 21, 2012

quicko: pancakes

Happy Faschnaut Day!  Happy Marti Gras!  Happy Shrove Tuesday!

A couple years ago here I was fed pancakes for Fat Tuesday and tonight learned that "pancakes" are a tradition in England.  (Sorry, humor me.  Tonight we're doing Americans-Brits instead just for the fun of it.  Haven't got anything on Australian traditions here, but my English friend was around.  Yay!)  It turns out, though, that "pancakes" in the U.K. are closer to what we'd call "crepes" -- possibly a bit thicker, but closer to them than our "pancakes."  What we call "pancakes," the Brits call "Scotch pancakes."  (They don't call it "Scotch tape" though but "cellotape.")

Tonight I went to San Churro to celebrate -- Spanish donuts aren't the same, but they sure are delicious!

2 comments:

Mom said...

I made our traditional fastnachts tonight. Yum, yum, yum. Too bad they won't last until June, when you come home.
You might note that not all Americans know what fastnachts are; only those of German (Pennsylvania Dutch) background are likely to, although most all Christian cultures seem to have some kind of awareness of the day before Ash Wednesday.

KIM said...

I know not all Americans know what faschnauts are -- in fact, the only ones I've ever met who do are related to us. And even we can't seem to agree on a spelling. (I'm favoring Aunt Heidi's at the moment.)