Monday, November 30, 2009

quicko: mccafe

This is an Australian oddity: McDonalds, with a cafe, that sells baked goods. Now, I'm not talking about the McDonalds apple pie, but rather cookies, brownies, cakes, cheesecakes and muffins. The display case looks very much like most other cafes' display cases in Sydney (it's basically the same, say, monster chocolate chip muffins everywhere). It just strikes me as odd, don't you think?

And while we're on the subject of McDonalds, in case you were unaware, the correct nomenclature in Australian is "Maccas." (The lazy Australian pronunciation just can't manage to stretch that last sylla ...)

2 comments:

Sam said...

I love your blog Kim! It makes me smile to hear these Aussie customs described out loud (so to speak!). Yes, we say Macca's - you might like to mention we have a habit of shortening quite a few people's names so that they have a "zza" or "o" at the end too as in Sharon = Shazza, Barry = Bazza, Tim = Timmo e.t.c

KIM said...

Thanks so much, Sam!! I'm glad you like it :) You have a pretty amazing blog yourself (http://matouenpeluche.typepad.com/matouenpeluche/)! Thanks for your lesson on names, too -- I have noticed it, but you Australians have an innate sense of which names get zza/o/ie and I'm afraid I'd inevitably guess wrong!