Monday, October 12, 2009

quicko: no? soap

I had the oddest surprise when I went to buy soap the other day. I can't figure out if this is some trend that I'm simply unaware of in America, or if it's a purely Australian quirk: basically, the idea is that soap is a bad buzzword and that, if you want to buy a product that will clean your skin, what you really want is a product that is soap-free or one that contains no traces of soap or even one that was produced in an entirely soap-free environment. How precisely you're to get clean, I'm not quite sure, but heaven forbid you actually use s-- go wash your mouth out with dirt!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah, I think that's true in the US too. It's true in Thailand apparently. I was there and trying to buy something to wash my face with. I said, "Do you have face soap?". The woman helping answered "No. No soap." with a scolding look. Then she went on to explain that they only have cleansing gel and cream.

Mom said...

So, you have lived in Australia almost two years and are just now getting around to needing soap???