Thursday, November 10, 2011

quicko: no food afternoons

Heaven forbid you try to find food before dinner in Australia.  Today I went to Manly, hoping to get a late lunch at Ground Zero.  Unfortunately, it had just closed.  Granted, it was a very late lunch -- nigh on to 5 pm -- but all I really wanted was a BLT and I couldn't get one for love or for money anywhere in Manly.  Well, I suppose I could have if you count $15 as money, but I find that egregious for a BLT and refuse to pay.  But between the two cafes I really wanted to go being closed for food, the open ones being atrociously priced (and also not even having BLTs), I finally had to settle on a chicken sandwich (consummately not bacon) for $11.  Still pricey, but I was starving.  I hadn't eaten since 7 am, and last time I tried that and missed lunch I made it to 8 pm without getting food, at which point I gave up and waited till breakfast the next day.  This time I seized the day and went for Ben and Jerry's while I was at it.  Nothing like chocolate brownie ice cream on the beach to make you forget your BLT woes.

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

Face it Kim - you're in the wrong city. There are plenty of food places open here in Brisbane, even in the areas outside Brisbane proper. For a BLT you may be best off going to a hamburger place (probably cheaper than those cafes you mentioned). Up here the burger / fish & chips places are normally open from just before lunch through to late dinner (8-9 pm, depending on day).

For my own part, I'm normally wanting one of the following: Asian, Middle Eastern (mmm, falafel) or fish & chips - I'm in the right place for all three. :-)

Mer said...

Come to the city! Open all day, all the time.