Tuesday, April 5, 2011

quicko: kangaroo meat pies

The other day I had my first kangaroo meat pie.  Honestly, I was quite a bit apprehensive, mostly because I don't like pie.  The filling I'm generally okay with, but the crust just doesn't do it for me.  And meat pies are utterly covered in crust.  The kangaroo part didn't excite me either -- I've had kangaroo before, and generally find it just gamey.  But social norms called and I took half a pie.  Much to my shock, I actually liked it.  It was absolutely delicious.  It was homemade, which always helps, and the crust was not same crust I'd thought it'd be -- it was closer to a pastry than an out and out dough-based entity.

As another note, Australians are crazy about meat pies.  They're practically the national dish.  They always make an appearance on Australia Day, and are just omnipresent -- pie shops are open late at night, and a staple of Australian night culture.

Furthermore, "pie" to an Australian is always "savory" -- whereas to an American, it's quintessentially sweet.

No comments: